Caboki vs Toppik vs Nut Job
What is the difference between Nut Job, Toppik, Nanogen & Caboki?
We are often asked what is the main difference between Nut Job and other brands. First let's debunk one popular but incorrect belief. Hair fibres that claim to contain "keratin protein" supposedly the same natural protein as your hair", are either a chemical made to mimic the properties of human hair or it is a product that has been derived from animals.
Keratin is found throughout the animal kingdom in wool, horns, feathers, claws and hooves. It is from these sources that most keratin hair product manufacturers synthesise their keratin. So whilst you may believe that you are buying something that closely resembles or imitates human hair, you are more than likely buying animal products.
Synthesising keratin from animal parts makes keratin an ‘animal protein’ which means it naturally contains a large amount of bacteria. In order to turn the animal protein into a safe cosmetic product, significant amounts of bactericides and preservatives are required. Adding more chemicals.
In addition, keratin is water soluble and when you shake some keratin hair fibres into a glass of water you will see the water turn instantly green. This is because the fibre cannot hold the colour when in contact with liquids. This is why some people report that keratin fibres turn green in the sun and in sweat.
Next what does "made from 100% natural cotton" mean when it comes to hair fibres? It means it is made from 100% natural cotton fibres - found in nature and from plants. As you know, cotton is colour fast and no dyes or colours run from hair fibres made from cotton.
Let's compare the brands:
Nut Job Hair Fibres
Nut Job is an all natural cotton hair fibre product for young people with thinning hair.
- Looks completely natural, even in bright sunlight
- The latest technology hair fibres made from cotton
- High quality cotton fibres are extremely colourfast so won’t stain skin, hats, clothes or pillowcases.
- Super high cling – sticks to hair, not scalp and won’t fall out. So strong that it can be used without a holding spray.
- Natural ingredients mean it’s safe for even the most sensitive scalps.
- Comes in one 22g size
- Ships same day from Australia
- Best Value Price Every Day. One 22g bottle $39 = $1.77/g
Toppik & Nanogen
Toppik & Nanogen are both keratin hair fibre products.
- Contains chemicals such as ammonium chloride and DMDM hydantoin which may cause irritation in some.
- Old school keratin technology
- May clump together on scalp.
- Keratin is water soluble so product can easily dissolve in sweat
- Propensity to turn green when in contact with liquid or sunlight. This is especially prevalent in the blond colour.
- Dull colours and ‘dusty’ appearance.
- Requires a holding spray
- Comes in a variety of sizes
- Expensive. Toppik 12g bottle $35.95 = $3.00/g (almost double the Nut Job price)
- Nanogen 15g bottle is $29.95 or $2/g (25% more than the Nut Job price)
Caboki is a hair building fibre for thinning hair.
- Made from ‘gossypium herbaceum’ – don’t be fooled by the marketing spin, this is just a fancy way of saying cotton.
- Many customers report that Caboki is very visible and fear that others may be able to tell that they are wearing it.
- Colours are not very true to life so can be hard to match your colour.
- Blonde colour is actually yellow, making it even more highly visible on blonds.
- Comes in 25g or 9g sizes.
- Ships from the US
- Most expensive of all. 25g bottle at 2015 exchange rate: A$49.60 + A$14 for 6 week shipping. Total for one bottle including cheapest shipping A$53.90 and you have to wait 6 weeks.